Hiring: Communications Director
About ABM: Alliance for a Better Minnesota (ABM) is a nonprofit organization that serves the progressive community of the state as a communications hub and educates the public about the negative effects of certain policies, politicians and organizations on their quality of life using earned and new media techniques. We aggressively hold politicians and organizations accountable, driving narratives to expose the truth about who is looking out for working families. ABM is cited as one of the most effective political communications groups in Minnesota – and is held up as a national model for other state organizations.
ABM works closely with national and state allied groups to develop, coordinate, and share the most effective messages using the best channels with attention to the effects of public policy decisions on the lives of everyday Minnesotans. Its legal entities include a 501(c)4, 501(c)3, federal PAC and state PAC.
Description: ABM seeks an energetic and creative Communications Director who likes to actively expose the harmful effects conservative politicians and organizations have on the state. The ideal candidate will have exceptional writing abilities, demonstrated messaging skills, and is not afraid to call the bad guys out in the public square. She or he will build relationships with state and national media to advance our campaigns and work closely with partner groups, allies, and others on improving communications efforts across the sector.
● Create and implement a strategic communications plan that can affect media narratives on important progressive issues.
● Write talking points, memos, and other message materials from polling.
● Set up and execute attention-getting earned media events.
● Build relationships with print, radio, and broadcast media.
● Serve as a major spokesperson for the organization.
● Provide communications support to progressive partners.
● Use social media and other online tactics to drive narratives.
● ALL of this is done in a consistent spirit of teamwork, collaboration and innovation – “lone wolf” types need not apply.
Qualifications: If you have some, but not all the qualifications, consider applying anyway.
● Minimum two years of experience in public relations or communications. Political campaign experience strongly preferred.
● On-record experience and a history of placing stories.
● Ability to work quickly under pressure and juggle several projects at one time.
● Demonstrated excellence in writing for public and press audiences.
● Degree in Journalism, English, Political Science or related field is a plus.
● Commitment to progressive causes and issues.
To Apply: Submit resume, writing sample and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Preference will be given to applications received by Friday, January 20th but will remain open until filled. Compensation commensurate with experience, 401k, generous paid time off and benefits included.
ABM is deeply committed to social, racial, gender, and economic justice. We strongly encourage persons of color, women, LGBT individuals, and those who are unemployed to apply.