About ABM: Alliance for a Better Minnesota (ABM) is a nonprofit organization that serves the progressive community of the state as a communications hub, and educates the public about the negative effects of certain policies, politicians and organizations on their quality of life using earned and new media techniques.
ABM works closely with national and state allied groups to develop, coordinate, and deliver the most effective messages using the best channels, with particular attention to the effects of public policy decisions on the lives of everyday Minnesotans. Its legal entities include a 501(c)4, 501(c)3, federal PAC and state PAC.
Description: We seek a highly motivated self-starter with a desire to dig into the facts to serve as our Research Associate. The Research Associate will be responsible for producing much of ABM’s internal and external research. The Research Associate reports to the Executive Director.
- Craft research documents such as backgrounders, one-pagers, comprehensive reports in a timely but high quality manner.
- Juggle multiple research priorities in a rapid response campaign-like environment.
- Research wonky policy topics and turn that into digestible, easily understood information for the team, partner organizations, and the public.
- Desire to ferret out facts and sources not readily apparent to others.
- Support Research Director in research-based campaigns.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Degree in Political Science, Journalism, English, or related field.
- 1-2 years of research experience in a political, policy or non-profit setting, communications background a plus.
- Extremely high level of attention to detail and strong writing skills.
- Knowledge of Minnesota politicians and politics, especially at the Minnesota legislature
- Creative problem solving.
- Ability to produce research quickly under the pressure of extremely tight deadlines.
- Commitment to progressive causes and issues.
Salary: $40,000-$45,000 plus benefits depending on qualifications.
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Jobs@abetterminnesota.org. Deadline to submit application for the Research Associate is Monday, February 1st.
ABM is deeply committed to social, racial, gender, and economic justice. We strongly encourage persons of color, women, LGBT individuals, and those who are unemployed to apply.