On Tuesday, March 16, multiple Asian American women were shot and killed in an act of unspeakable violence in Atlanta, Georgia.
This attack was part of a pattern of increasing hate, discrimination, and violence against the Asian American community in Minnesota and the United States. This increasing violence and discrimination is a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and conservatives’ hateful rhetoric against Asian Americans.
We must condemn these acts of violence against our Asian American neighbors and support our Asian American communities.
Right now, Minnesota’s Asian American community needs your support.
Here’s how you can help:
Visit Stop AAPI Hate to report a hate incident, find safety tips, and take action.
Learn how you can move from bystander to intervention.
Donate to these organizations in Minnesota that work to support our Asian American communities:
- Asian American Organizing Project: They work ot advance Asian American and Pacific Islander participation in democracy for an equitable and just society.
- Hmong American Partnership: They’re a nonprofit social service and community development organization that addresses the needs of more than 25,000 immigrants and refugees across the Twin Cities.
- Hmong Cultural Center: They provide community outreach activities related to multicultural education for the purposes of promoting positive race relations in the Twin Cities community.
- CAPI: They help immigrants, refugees, and people of color connect with the resources they need to build established, happy lives.
- Fil-Minnesotan Association: They are dedicated to providing socio-civic, educational, cultural and artistic opportunities to the Filipino Minnesotan community.
- Japan American Society of Minnesota: They are dedicated to bringing the peoples of Japan and the United States closer together in mutual understanding, respect, and cooperation.
Together, we can put an end to hate and discrimination. And we can make our state and country a place where people of different races and from different places – whether Black or white, native or newcomer, Latino or Asian – are treated with the respect and dignity we all deserve.