Are you a go-getter who can thrive in a fast-paced environment? Do you have exceptional writing abilities, demonstrated messaging skills, and work well with a team? Are you passionate about holding conservatives accountable and building a better, more progressive Minnesota? If you answered yes to these questions, then we want you on the team.
Alliance for a Better Minnesota (ABM) is one of the most effective political communications groups in Minnesota and is held up as a national model for other state organizations. ABM is a nonprofit organization that serves the progressive community of the state as a communications hub. We aggressively hold elected officials and organizations accountable, driving narratives to expose the truth about who is looking out for Minnesotans. And we engage with and educate Minnesotans about the harmful effects of certain policies, elected officials, and organizations on their quality of life using innovative, cutting-edge media techniques.
We work closely with national and state allied groups to develop, coordinate, and share the most effective messages using the best channels with attention to the effects of policy decisions on the lives of Minnesotans. Our legal entities include a 501(c)4, 501(c)3, federal PAC, and state PAC.
About the Role
We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative Communications Director who can drive forward ABM’s communications strategies and messaging. This role involves writing, editing, and building and maintaining relationships with state and national media to advance our campaigns. The position also involves working closely with partner groups, allies, and others to improve communications efforts across the sector.
This role is made for you if…
- You are passionate about holding Minnesota’s conservative elected officials and organizations accountable and advocating for progressive values.
- You are not afraid to call out bad actors in the public square.
- You have exceptional writing abilities and demonstrated messaging skills.
- You are a big-picture thinker and have good attention to detail.
- You can deliver high-quality work in a fast-paced environment.
- You work well with a team and in collaboration with others.
- You are always hungry to grow, improve your skills, and learn more about new, innovative, and impactful communications techniques.
- Create and implement a strategic communications plan that can affect media narratives on ABM’s issues and campaigns.
- Write talking points, memos, and other message materials from polling and other opinion research.
- Set up and execute attention-getting earned media events.
- Build and maintain relationships with print, radio, and broadcast media.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Provide communications support to progressive partners.
- Use innovative, data-driven social media and other online tactics to drive narratives across channels.
If you have some but not all the qualifications, consider applying anyway!
- Minimum two years of experience in public relations or communications. Political campaign experience is strongly preferred.
- On-record experience and experience with pitching stories and engaging with the press.
- Ability to deliver high-quality work under pressure and manage several projects at one time.
- Demonstrated excellence in writing for public and press audiences.
- A degree in Journalism, English, Political Science or a related field is a plus.
- Commitment to progressive issues and values.
Submit resume, writing sample, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Preference will be given to applications received by Friday, October 22 but will remain open until filled. The salary is $65,000 plus 401k, generous benefits, and paid time off.
ABM is deeply committed to social, racial, gender, and economic justice. We strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, and unemployed individuals to apply.