Are you a go-getter who can thrive in a fast-paced environment? Do you work well with a team? Are you passionate about building a better, more progressive Minnesota? If you answered yes to these questions, we want you on the team.
Alliance for a Better Minnesota (ABM) is one of Minnesota’s most influential political communications groups and is held up as a national model for other state organizations. ABM is a nonprofit organization that serves the state’s progressive community as a communications hub. We aggressively hold elected officials and organizations accountable, driving narratives to expose the truth about who is looking out for Minnesotans. And we engage with and educate Minnesotans about the harmful effects of specific policies, elected officials, and organizations on their quality of life using innovative, cutting-edge media techniques.
We work closely with national and state allied groups to develop, coordinate, and share the most effective messages using the best channels with attention to the effects of policy decisions on the lives of Minnesotans. Our legal entities include a 501(c)4, 501(c)3, federal PAC, and state PAC.
About the role
We are looking for a motivated, enthusiastic Communications Organizer who can help manage a grassroots public education campaign in southern Minnesota. This role involves working with the ABM team and partner groups to recruit and develop local storytellers and inform the public about laws and programs affecting southern Minnesota. The position also involves lending capacity-building support to partners and allies, including but not limited to social and digital media trainings, spokesperson trainings, and writing support. This is a remote position but will require regular travel in and around southern Minnesota and may require occasional travel to the office.
This role is made for you if…
- You are passionate about advancing progressive values and policies.
- You work well with a team and in collaboration with others.
- You have strong communication and public speaking skills.
- You have excellent organizational skills.
- You are always hungry to grow, improve your skills, and learn more about new, innovative, and impactful communications techniques.
- Build and maintain relationships with new and existing stakeholders and partner groups in southern Minnesota.
- Work independently and collaborate with partner groups and stakeholders to identify and collect compelling stories and educate the public about laws and programs affecting southern Minnesota.
- Work with the ABM team to support partner groups and stakeholders in executing earned media events, and creating videos, op-eds, social media posts, letters to the editor, and other forms of content to lift up the voices of storytellers in southern Minnesota.
- Recruit, train, and support individuals in southern Minnesota.
- Conduct capacity-building trainings for partner groups and stakeholders in southern Minnesota.
If you have some but not all the qualifications, consider applying anyway!
- Experience as an organizer or in advocacy campaigns is preferred.
- Strong communication and public speaking skills.
- Ability to work well with a variety of people.
- Strong commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Positive, go-getter attitude.
- Ability to innovate and take responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to bring in, train, and retain volunteers.
- Commitment to progressive issues and values.
- Ability to travel the state as needed. The ideal candidate would live in southern Minnesota.
Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled. The salary is $40,000 plus 401k, generous benefits, and paid time off. The position is funded for one year from the date of hire. We hope to obtain additional funding after that time, but it is not guaranteed.
ABM is deeply committed to social, racial, gender, and economic justice. We strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, and unemployed individuals to apply.